Headaches and Migraines
Many of us have experienced headaches from time to time, and they can make us feel irritable, lethargic and miserable. The onset of headaches can sometimes be a short couple of hours or days, and often medication can only do so little to help. If you are chronically getting headaches or migraines, it may be best to figure out why you are getting them.
Headaches can be caused by several different reasons, such as poor posture, stress, eyesight problems, hormonal imbalances or dehydration. There are several different types of headaches and understanding the characteristics of them can give you a good idea of where to start.
- Tension Headaches – This type of headache is the most common and often described as a tight band around your head. Generally, it is a diffuse, mild to moderate pain in your head that occurs when the neck and scalp muscles become tense and contracted.
- Migraines – While migraines are often grouped together as headaches, it is actually more than that. Migraines are a neurological disorder that can be accompanied by severe throbbing pain and pulsing sensation, often on one side of the head. A person suffering from migraines can have extreme sensitivity to light and sound. The migraine attack can last anywhere from hours to days.
- Medications can sometimes help when taken at the early stage to prevent symptoms from worsening. The underlying cause of migraines is unclear, scientists suggest that environmental and genetic factors play a role as migraines tend to run in families. Although not a direct correlation, many people with migraines report specific triggers such as certain foods, poor sleep, changes in weather or hormonal changes.
- Sinus Headaches – This type of headaches can sometimes happen as a result of a sinus or allergic reaction. The pain from this type of headache is often in the frontal portion of the head and around the sinus area. This type of headache can often be accompanied by a fever, lethargy or a sinus infection. Sinus headaches are often misdiagnosed as migraines. In fact, 90% of sinus headaches are always a migraine. A couple of indications that your sinus headache may be a headache is if you have them chronically over the timespan of several months and if you experience nausea, sound or light sensitivity.
- Cluster Headaches – This type of headaches is the most painful. They can last from weeks to months and occur infrequent attacks, known as cluster periods as the name suggest. A cluster headache commonly awakens you in the middle of the night with intense pain in or around one eye or one side of the eye. Luckily, this type of headache is rare and not lethal. Like migraines, the underlying cause of cluster headaches is unclear. However, cluster headaches may be triggered by certain stimuli like high altitude, certain food, alcohol and scents.
How Honor Wellness can help
In our clinic, we use a combination of acupuncture, manual therapy, Rapid Release Technology and Chinese herbal medicine in the treatment of headaches and migraines.
Acupuncture – Works by releasing tight neck and shoulders muscles, regulating neurotransmitters to reduce pain and improve the delivery of highly oxygenated blood flow to the affected area on the head. Acupuncture has been proven to be an effective treatment to activate the parasympathetic system to shift the nervous system into a deeply relaxed state.
Rapid Release Technology – Rapid Release Technology (RRT) uses vibrational waves to break up scar tissue and adhesion to restore proper blood flow. RRT can help relax tight muscles and opposing muscle groups to restore proper function and eliminate soft tissue tension
Manual Therapy – a combination of Cupping Therapy and Gua Sha can help by removing trapped stagnant blood circulation in the deeper layers of your soft tissue. By removing the trapped metabolic waste, it allows new oxygenated blood flow to heal to restore proper muscle tone and blood circulation to the head.
Chinese Herbal Medicine – Our practitioners are highly trained in prescribing herbal medicine. Customized herbal formulas are prescribed specifically to each individual’s underlying pattern to correct imbalances on a systemic level.
Headaches and migraines can lower your quality of life in many ways. It can affect your sleep, cause emotional stress and interfere with your daily activity. At Honor Wellness, our practitioners are fully committed to your care to help you regain your quality of life back. If you or someone you know are struggling with headaches, let us help you. Contact us today at 604.428-9946 and find out how.