Lower Back Pain
Lower back pain is one of the most common medical conditions and it is estimated 80% of people will experience lower back pain at some point in their life. Low back pain can range from a chronic low-grade ache that lasts 12 weeks or longer to acute sharp stabbing pain that lasts for days to a few weeks.
Most commonly, lower back pain is caused by improper lifting of heavyweights, poor and unsupported posture or repetitive stress from various activities. Lower back injuries can include damages to the intervertebral discs, compression in nerve roots or a torn or pulled muscle. Symptoms of low back pain may include muscle spasms in the low back, stinging or burning pain that radiates from the low back to the back of the thighs or a dull ache contained to the lower back.
Other causes of lower back pain:
- Degenerative disc disease – is an age-related condition when one or more discs between the vertebrae of the spinal column degenerate due to wear and tear. Symptoms may include weakness, numbness and pain that radiates down the leg.
- Sciatica – refers to pain that radiates down the path of the sciatic nerve. Typically affects one side of the body and is caused by irritation, inflammation or compression of the sciatic nerve.
- Herniated Disc – also called a bulged disc, occurs when a portion of the nucleus slips through the crack in the annulus. Symptoms may occur if the herniation compresses a nerve.
- Spondylolisthesis – It is a spinal condition when one of the vertebrae slips out onto the vertebra below it. Fortunately, symptoms can often be relieved by non-surgical methods.
- Spinal Stenosis – is a spinal condition narrowing of the spaces within your spine. Due to the narrowing, it can put pressure on the nerves that travel through the spine. Some people may be diagnosed with spinal stenosis but not have symptoms.
How Honor Wellness can help
In our clinic, we use a combination of acupuncture, manual therapy and Rapid Release Technology in the treatment of lower back pain.
Acupuncture – Works by releasing tight muscles, regulating neurotransmitters to reduce pain and improve the delivery of highly oxygenated blood flow to the affected soft tissue. Acupuncture has been proven to be an effective treatment for sciatic pain without the side effects of prescription medication like NSAIDs and muscle relaxers.
Rapid Release Technology – Rapid Release Technology (RRT) uses vibrational waves to break up scar tissue and adhesion to restore proper blood flow. RRT can help relax tight muscles and opposing muscle groups to restore proper function and eliminate soft tissue tension
Manual Therapy – a combination of Cupping Therapy and Gua Sha can help by removing trapped stagnant blood circulation in the deeper layers of your soft tissue. By removing the trapped metabolic waste, it allows new oxygenated blood flow to heal to restore proper muscular tone.
Chinese Herbal Medicine – Our practitioners are highly trained in prescribing herbal medicine. Customized herbal formulas are prescribed specifically to each individual’s underlying pattern to reduce inflammation in the soft tissue to restore proper blood circulation.
Lower back pain can lower your quality of life in many ways. It can affect your sleep, decrease mobility, inhibit everyday function and cause emotional stress. At Honor Wellness, our practitioners are fully committed to your care to help you regain your quality of life back. If you or someone you know are struggling with lower back pain, let us help you. Contact us today at 604.428.9946 and find out how.