Depression can be a debilitating condition. We can help you!
Feeling sad, disappointed, and depressed is a normal human reaction from time to time, but major depression is considered a mood disorder. Major depression disorder or clinical depression is a more serious form of depression where the sense of sadness is persistent and has a negative impact on your life.
The world health organization estimates 264 million people from all around the world struggle with depression and is considered one of the most common illnesses worldwide.
Frequently asked questions
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF DEPRESSION?
Most people think depression is only related to sadness, but in reality, there can be many other symptoms. Other signs and symptoms of clinical depression include:
- A feeling of hopelessness and emptiness
- Loss of interest in most activities like normally brings pleasure
- Sleep disturbances, insomnia, or sleeping too much
- Feeling lethargic and lack of motivation
- Appetite and weight fluctuations
- Anxiety, restlessness, and agitation
- Unexplained physical problems like back pain or headaches
- Frequent or recurrent thoughts of death, suicidal thoughts, or attempts
WHAT CAUSES DEPRESSION?
While there is no single cause of depression, there are numerous factors that can contribute to the disorder. Trauma, life adversity, relationship issues, genetics, and brain biology may contribute to depression. Anyone at any age can develop depression. However, women are more likely to suffer from depression than men.
WHAT ARE THE TYPES OF DEPRESSION?
While depression is generally labelled as a single disorder, there are other types of depression. A person may struggle with persistent depressive disorders with milder symptoms that don’t interfere with their ability to function with their everyday life.
Other types of depression include:
- Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) – a type of depression related to change in seasons. SAD begins and ends at the same time every year.
- Psychotic Depression – a major type of depression when severe depressive illness results in hallucinations or delusions.
- Bipolar Depression – a mental health condition that causes extreme mood swings that include emotional depressive states.
- Postpartum Depression – commonly known as ‘baby blues’ after childbirth, symptoms can include mood swings, anxiety, or crying spells.
HOW CAN HONOR WELLNESS HELP?
In our clinic, we use a combination of acupuncture, Chinese herbal medicine in the treatment of depression and anxiety disorders.
Acupuncture – Acupuncture helps to activate the parasympathetic system and release the feel-good neurotransmitters in the body. Systemic reviews of research revealed electro-acupuncture can be as effective as the common medication, amitriptyline, in treating depression. In addition, acupuncture has shown to normalize sympathetic brain activity to generate a sense of calm feeling.
Chinese Herbal Medicine – Our practitioners are highly trained in prescribing herbal medicine. Customized herbal formulas are prescribed specifically to each individual’s underlying pattern to correct imbalances on a systemic level. There are a number of herbs that are known for their ability to treat depression, reduce stress and normalize the sympathetic nervous system. The herbal combination is a great way to enhance and extend the effects of acupuncture.
Depression can lower your quality of life in many ways. It can affect your social life, lower self-esteem, and interfere with your daily activity. At Honor Wellness, our practitioners are fully committed to your care to help you regain your quality of life back. If you or someone you know are struggling with depression, let us help you.
Contact us today at 604.428-9946 and find out how.
Contact our clinic today to make an appointment or book online
Start your path toward better health and contact us now to book your appointment! If you prefer booking online, you can check our practitioners’ calendar and book using the button below.